Thursday, September 13, 2012

If it was a snake, it would have bitten you...oh wait.

Maria and I decided it was finally time for a roomie date :). So we grabbed a couple of Peace Teas and made our way down to one of my favorite spots along the Jessamine Creek. After sitting for a while, we decided to explore and wade in the water, while making our way down to the dam. After getting excited to see a baby snapping turtle jump into the water, I kept stepping down, closer to the water. Then all of the sudden, right before I stepped on it, the huge snake that was right at my foot finally caught my attention! I lunged back to Maria and we stopped to examine what was going on. The snake had a small catfish in its jaws, and had just released it. It's mouth was still extended open and it was glaring at us. We took the hint, and stepped back a couple of feet. He then turned back towards his meal, and we watched as the snake began the slow process of swallowing his food whole. However, he was having a little bit of trouble since the fish was still alive and flopping around at times. We googled Kentucky snakes and found one that seems to be a pretty good match, which is the Northern Water Snake. I guess it's good to know he's not poisonous, so if I was bitten from accidentally stepping on him, it wouldn't have been too big of a deal, and Maria wouldn't have had to save my life or anything like that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment